Steak & chips for one
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
- 1 large potato (200g), cut into chunky chips or wedges
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter , softened
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp finely chopped capers
- 150g sirloin or rump steak , at room temperature, excess fat trimmed
- 1 small courgette , diced or cut into long strips approx ½ cm wide
- about 8 cherry tomatoes on the vine
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Toss the chips with 1 tsp oil and some seasoning. Tip onto a baking sheet and roast for 30 mins, turning halfway through. Mash the butter, mustard, capers and some seasoning together.
- STEP 2
When the chips are halfway through cooking, rub the remaining oil into the steak and season. Heat a heavy-based ovenproof frying pan on a high heat. Sear the steak for 2-4 mins on each side (2 for rare, 4 for well done) and leave to rest, covered, on a plate.
- STEP 3
Add the courgette to the steak pan and fry for 1 min, then add the tomatoes, and melt half the butter in the pan, spooning it over the veg. Transfer to the oven (if you don’t have an ovenproof pan, transfer to a baking tray), and roast on the shelf under the chips for 10 mins.
- STEP 4
Serve the steak with the remaining butter on top and the veg and chips on the side.