Layered roast summer vegetables
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 6 tbsp good-quality olive oil
- 4 large courgettes , thickly sliced (yellow ones look pretty)
- 5 ripe plum tomatoes , sliced
- 2 aubergines , sliced
- 1 large garlic bulb, kept whole
- small bunch rosemary , broken into sprigs
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Drizzle a round ovenproof dish with a little oil; then, starting from the outside, tightly layer alternate slices of the vegetables in concentric circles until you get to the middle – sit the head of garlic here. If you have any vegetables left, tuck them into any gaps around the outside. Stick the sprigs of rosemary among the vegetables, drizzle everything generously with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 2
Roast everything together, drizzling with more oil occasionally, for 50 mins-1 hr, until the vegetables are soft and lightly charred.
- STEP 3
Remove from the oven and leave to stand for a few mins, then remove the garlic and separate it into cloves for squeezing over the vegetables.