- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 4 slices white country bread
- 50g butter , softened
- 2 handfuls watercress , thick stalks removed
- 2 large ripe pears , peeled and sliced
- 225g stilton cheese (or vegetarian alternative), sliced
- STEP 1
Heat grill to medium. Toast the slices of bread until light golden, then butter them. Butter four shallow gratin dishes and lay a slice of toasted bread in each.
- STEP 2
Divide the watercress between the dishes and top with slices of the peeled pears. Top with stilton and place the dishes under the grill until the cheese melts and bubbles slightly. This is lovely served with a glass of crisp Chenin from the Loire.