Chorizo & halloumi breakfast baguette
- Preparation and cooking time
- , plus cooling
- (plus extra tomato jam)
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 red onion , halved and thinly sliced
- drizzle of oil
- 150g chorizo , sliced on an angle
- 250g block halloumi , sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 large baguette or 2 smaller ones
- small bunch coriander , leaves picked
For the tomato jam
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- red chilli , finely chopped (deseeded if you don't want much spice)
- thumb-sized piece ginger , grated
- 1 star anise
- 250g caster sugar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- STEP 1
To make the tomato jam, put all the ingredients in a pan, season and simmer for 30 mins until you have a rich, thick glossy jam. Cool, then transfer to a sterilised jar (if you want to keep for over two weeks). Will keep, unopened, for six months.
- STEP 2
Halve the avocado and scoop into a bowl. Add half the lime juice and some salt and mash with a fork. Put the onion in a small bowl, pour over the rest of the lime juice and season with a pinch of salt. Mix well and set aside to lightly pickle.
- STEP 3
Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan. Cook the chorizo slices on one side of the pan and the halloumi on the other, turning once the halloumi is golden and the chorizo is sizzling. Cook for about 4-5 mins in total.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, split and warm the baguette in the oven. Spread the avocado over one side of the baguette, and the tomato jam over the other. Fill with the halloumi, chorizo, coriander and pickled red onions. Cut up and tuck in.