Bean & halloumi stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Use a can of mixed beans to make this tomato-based veggie stew with halloumi. Make it in just 25 minutes for a quick and easy midweek supper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 3 tbsp red chilli , sundried tomato pesto or vegan alternative
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 400g can mixed beans , drained and rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ x 250g block halloumi , sliced
- ½ small bunch of coriander , finely chopped
- garlic bread , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and pepper, along with a pinch of salt and fry for 10 mins or until softened. Add the garlic, pesto and ground coriander, and cook for 1 min. Tip in the beans and tomatoes along with ½ can of water, then bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 mins.
- STEP 2
Add the remaining oil to a separate frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the halloumi for 2 mins on each side or until golden brown.
- STEP 3
Taste the beans for seasoning, then spoon into deep bowls. Top with the halloumi and scatter over the chopped coriander. Serve with garlic bread, if you like.
HOW TO MAKE IT VEGAN
Swap the halloumi for fried aubergine slices and use a vegan- friendly sundried tomato pesto.