Bean & halloumi stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 3 tbsp red chilli , sundried tomato pesto or vegan alternative
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 400g can mixed beans , drained and rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ x 250g block halloumi , sliced
- ½ small bunch of coriander , finely chopped
- garlic bread , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and pepper, along with a pinch of salt and fry for 10 mins or until softened. Add the garlic, pesto and ground coriander, and cook for 1 min. Tip in the beans and tomatoes along with ½ can of water, then bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 mins.
- STEP 2
Add the remaining oil to a separate frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the halloumi for 2 mins on each side or until golden brown.
- STEP 3
Taste the beans for seasoning, then spoon into deep bowls. Top with the halloumi and scatter over the chopped coriander. Serve with garlic bread, if you like.