Smoked haddock & bacon gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- small knob of butter
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 1 onion , finely sliced
- ½ small pack thyme , leaves only
- 1kg baking potatoes , washed and sliced
- 350g skinless smoked haddock , cut into large chunks
- 300ml half-fat crème fraîche
- crisp green salad , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat the butter in a shallow flameproof casserole dish and sizzle the bacon until it changes colour. Add the onion and thyme and fry with the bacon for 5 mins until the onion is starting to soften. Lower the heat, add the potatoes to the onion and cover the pan. Steam-fry the potatoes for 25-35 mins until they soften, stirring occasionally to stop them sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- STEP 2
When the potatoes are ready, stir through the haddock, crème fraîche and a good grinding of black pepper, and mix until everything is combined. Flatten down with a fish slice and bake in the oven for 40 mins until golden. Serve with a green salad.