Tex-Mex beans on toast
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
A simple solo supper made from storecupboard black beans and Mexican spices. Serve with avocado and yogurt
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 2 spring onions , whites and greens separated, both finely sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp brown or barbecue sauce
- 400g can black bean , drained and rinsed
- 2 slices of your favourite bread
- 1 small ripe avocado
- few good squeezes of lemon or lime juice
- big dollop of natural yogurt
- STEP 1
Tip the tomatoes, spring onion whites, spices and brown sauce into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and bubble for 10 mins.
- STEP 2
Stir in the beans with some seasoning and heat through for 5 mins. Meanwhile, toast the bread, then chunkily dice half the avocado and mix with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
- STEP 3
Squash the remaining avocado over one of the pieces of toast, and sandwich with the other. Sit on a plate and top with the hot chilli beans, followed by the diced avocado and a dollop of cooling yogurt. Scatter with the spring onion greens and tuck in.