Sprouts with sticky shallots
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 shallots , finely sliced
- large pinch golden caster sugar
- 100g raisin
- 4 tbsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1kg Brussels sprout , trimmed
- handful flaked almonds , toasted
- pinch paprika (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and sizzle the shallots for 5 mins until starting to colour. Sprinkle over the sugar, stir well, then add the raisins and vinegar. Simmer for 5 mins to make a sticky mix, then set aside.
- STEP 2
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then tip in the sprouts. Cook for 5 mins, then drain well, add to the shallot pan and toss everything together. Serve scattered with flaked almonds and a sprinkling of paprika, if you like.