- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 large red pepper from a jar, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
Related to the onion (as opposed to being a younger version of it), shallots grow in clusters at…
- ½ tbsp capers
Capers are the small flower buds of the Capparis shrub that grows in the Mediterranean. As they…
- ½ small garlic clove, finely sliced
- ½ small bunch basil, shredded
Most closely associated with Mediterranean cooking but also very prevalent in Asian food, the…
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 120g can sardines in olive oil, drained
Whisk the oil and vinegar in a bowl. Mix in the pepper, shallot, capers and garlic. Toss with half the basil and season to taste.
Toast the bread until crisp and golden. Top with the peperonata and large chunks of the sardines. Finish with the remaining basil and a good grind of black pepper.