Sardines & peperonata on wholemeal toast
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 large red pepper from a jar, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot , thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp capers
- ½ small garlic clove , finely sliced
- ½ small bunch basil , shredded
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 120g can sardines in olive oil, drained
- STEP 1
Whisk the oil and vinegar in a bowl. Mix in the pepper, shallot, capers and garlic. Toss with half the basil and season to taste.
- STEP 2
Toast the bread until crisp and golden. Top with the peperonata and large chunks of the sardines. Finish with the remaining basil and a good grind of black pepper.