Parsnip, spinach, artichoke & wild rice salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 350g wild rice (use a mixture, or black rice works well)
- 200g parsnips (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 200g baby spinach, chopped
- 300g chargrilled artichokes in oil, drained and sliced
- small bunch of mint, leaves picked and finely chopped
- STEP 1
Cook the rice following pack instructions, then drain. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the parsnips with 2 tbsp oil and arrange on a large baking sheet lined with baking parchment in a single layer. Sprinkle with some seasoning and half the cumin seeds. Roast for 25-30 mins, stirring halfway through, until golden and crisp.
- STEP 2
Whisk the lemon juice, mustard, remaining cumin seeds and the oregano together in a large bowl, then add the remaining oil, whisking continuously, until thick. Season well. Stir into the cooked rice.
- STEP 3
Fold the spinach, artichokes and mint into the rice mixture, and season to taste. Scatter with the parsnip crisps to serve.