White bean hummus with pickled beetroot & kale
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus overnight chilling
- Serves 8
- 600g cooked beetroot, cut into small cubes
- 200ml olive oil, plus 2 tbsp and extra for drizzling
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, zest peeled into strips, juiced
- 2 x 400g cans butterbeans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 140g natural yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 crushed, 1 sliced
- 150g shredded kale
- STEP 1
Mix the beetroot, 100ml oil, the vinegar, shallots, bay and lemon zest. Season, cover and chill overnight.
- STEP 2
Tip the beans into a food processor with the lemon juice, yogurt, crushed garlic, 100ml oil, and some seasoning. Blitz until smooth, adding a splash of water to loosen if needed.
- STEP 3
Heat the 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan, and fry the sliced garlic for 1-2 mins. Add the kale and a splash of water, then stir and fry for 8-10 mins more until the kale is dark green and the stalks are tender. Add a splash more water if needed to wilt the kale. Drain the beetroot mixture and stir into the kale until just warmed through. Remove from the heat.
- STEP 4
Spoon the bean dip onto a large bowl, then spoon over the beetroot and kale mixture. Drizzle over a little more olive oil and serve the hummus at room temperature.