Maple & bourbon glazed poussins with cornbread stuffing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
For the cornbread
- 30g butter , melted and cooled, plus extra for brushing the tin
- 150g coarse yellow cornmeal
- 150g plain flour
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 240ml milk
For the poussins
- 15g butter
- 200g spring onions , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 lemon , zested
- 4 thyme sprigs , leaves picked and chopped
- 2 medium eggs , lightly beaten
- 6 poussin
For the maple glaze
- 300ml maple syrup (the darkest grade)
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- Tabasco , to taste (you can make it quite hot if you like)
- STEP 1
To make the cornbread, heat oven to 210C/190C fan/gas 6 and brush a 23cm cake tin with a little of the melted butter. In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients with 1 tsp salt. Mix the eggs, milk and butter in a jug. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and gradually pour in the wet ones, mixing with a wooden spoon as you go.
- STEP 2
Pour into the cake tin and bake for 20-25 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- STEP 3
To make the maple glaze for the poussins, put the maple syrup in a large pan (it bubbles up a lot when heated), bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and let it reduce by a third. Add the bourbon and Tabasco and leave to cool.
- STEP 4
To make the stuffing, melt the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the spring onions, just until they are softening a little. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Scrape into a bowl and add 250g of crumbled cornbread, lemon zest, thyme and eggs. Mix together.
- STEP 5
Season the birds inside and stuff each one. Put them in a roasting tin and brush each poussin, using half the glaze. Roast for 35 mins at 190C/170C fan/gas 5, then spoon the rest of the glaze over the birds. Return to the oven and roast for a further 15 mins. The birds should be cooked through with dark, glossy skin.