If you want to achieve the juiciest turkey, the crispiest roasties and the most luscious Christmas pudding possible while still enjoying a hassle-free Christmas Day, read Tom Kerridge’s expert advice for getting ahead. If you’re still in need of guidance, check out our Christmas dinner hub which has everything you need for the biggest and most extravagant meal of the year.
1. What’s your top tip for cooking Christmas dinner?
Organise yourself. Make sure that you can prep-cook vegetables and just be ready to reheat them. Above all else, really don’t stress about cooking. Enjoy it. If you enjoy it, the food will taste loved and that’s the most important thing.
- Make sure you’re prepared with our Christmas dinner planner.
2. Do you have any tips for getting ahead with the Christmas dinner?
Blanch your veggies and freeze them ahead of time, or blanch them the night before and put them in the fridge overnight. Lots of veggies used in a Christmas dinner can be prepared this way, and it takes some of the stress out of the prep on Christmas morning.
- Browse our Christmas trimmings collection.
3. What’s the most important ingredient in a Christmas pudding?
- Learn how to light a Christmas pudding with our easy-to-follow video.
4. What’s your tip for making the perfect mince pie?
I let my wife Beth do it. She makes amazing puff pastry mince pies every year, dusted in icing sugar.
- Check out our mince pie collection.
5. Do you have a secret to the perfect roast potato?
A lot of people would suggest parboiling them before they go into the oven, but I cook them all the way through on a gentle simmer. Let them dry and cool on a rack so they get a nice dry skin on them (they can be stored overnight in the fridge at this point if you need), then fry them in hot oil, turning infrequently. I usually choose Maris Pipers and I use English rapeseed oil – it’s clean and crisp, so I prefer it to cooking with fat.
- Make the crispiest tatties with our simple video on how to make roast potatoes.
6. What’s your favourite meal to make with Christmas leftovers?
- Let’s talk turkey – browse our turkey leftover recipes.
7. What’s the best way to serve Brussels sprouts?
- Learn how to cook Brussels sprouts.
Like these festive ideas? Read other celeb top tips…
What are your top Christmas dinner tips? Leave a comment below…