Nadiya Hussain is the queen of catering for a crowd, having proved her mettle by winning the Great British Bake Off in 2015. If you’re worried about serving up a suitably spectacular Christmas feast, read Nadiya’s expert advice for getting ahead for the big day, how to convert even the most ardent of sprout haters and how to use up your seasonal leftovers. For even more Christmas plans, recipes and tools check out our Christmas kitchen hub.
1. What’s your top tip for cooking Christmas dinner?
- Use our easiest ever Christmas dinner plan for simple recipes and clever time-saving techniques.
2. Do you have any tips for getting ahead with Christmas dinner?
I like to do all the shopping a week beforehand, and always online. That means I don’t have to face the crowds, and if I’m missing one or two ingredients, I can just nip down to a smaller supermarket.
- Take a look at our last-minute Christmas recipe collection.
3. What’s the most important ingredient in a Christmas pudding?
- Browse our Christmas pudding collection.
4. What’s your tip for making the perfect mince pie?
The pastry has to be perfectly short, buttery and crumbly. I like to bake with the tops off and bake the tops separately. When it’s time to serve I put the mince pie top on, blast in the microwave for 15 seconds and pop a dollop of thick cream on top. Divine!
- Check out our mince pie collection.
5. Do you have a secret to the perfect roast potato?
- Watch our 4 ways with roast potatoes video.
6. What’s your favourite meal to make with Christmas leftovers?
- See our guide on using your leftovers.
7. What’s the best way to serve Brussels sprouts?
I like to serve sprouts with onion and garlic, cooked until the onions are really soft. Then I add some chilli flakes and cumin seeds. Add the halved sprouts and cook under a lid till they are just tender and still very vibrant.
- Discover 3 ways with sprouts.
Like these festive ideas? Read more celeb tips…
What are your essential tips for Christmas dinner? Leave a comment below…