José Pizarro's top tips for Christmas dinner
José Pizarro shares his top tips for getting ahead on the Christmas dinner, plus his secret ingredients and serving suggestions.
Ever wondered how to make your Christmas pud extra special, or what to do with your leftover turkey? We asked José Pizarro how to add a Spanish twist to the standard Christmas menu. If you want a one-stop shop for all your Christmas recipe needs, check out our Christmas kitchen hub.
1. What’s your top tip for cooking Christmas dinner?
Get your family involved. Share those jobs so you don’t put all the pressure on yourself.
- Relax on the Big Day with our Christmas dinner planner, and solve your common Christmas dinner problems.
2. Do you have any tips for getting ahead on the Christmas dinner?
Doing prep the day before is great, but don’t spend the whole day rushing around by yourself. Invite the family over early, open a nice bottle of wine and enjoy the Christmas Eve prep together. Make it part of the celebrations rather than a chore.
- Check out our Christmas planning hub for helpful tools to get ready for the main event.
3. What’s the most important ingredient in a Christmas pudding?
Add a little Pedro Ximenez for a Spanish touch. It tastes delicious.
- Not a fan of the traditional pud? Try this Christmas pudding trifle.
4. What's your tip for making the perfect mince pie?
We don’t have mince pies in Spain, but my tip would be to eat them with a lovely Spanish sweet wine.
More like this
- Avoid slaving away in the kitchen and try our super quick easiest ever mince pies this festive season.
5. Do you have a secret to the perfect roast potato?
Adding half a tsp of baking soda to the water helps break the potatoes down so they go really crisp. Aside from that, make sure the fat you cook them in is hot enough. Don’t be impatient and put them in too early.
- Find out which fat works best for your potatoes.
6. What’s your favourite meal to make with Christmas leftovers?
Turkey and vegetable croquetas are a brilliant way to use your leftovers. They’re really delicious.
- Use up leftover cheese in our easy macaroni cheese.
7. What’s the best way to serve Brussels sprouts?
I like them fried with bacon, but for something a little different, try them with anchovy, chilli and lemon.
- Take a look at our ultimate Brussels sprout collection.
Found these useful? Read our other celeb top tips...
What are your essential Christmas dinner tips? Leave a comment below...