How to roast potatoes
Learn how to make crispy roast potatoes the easy way – an absolutely essential skill if you want to serve up a delicious Sunday lunch or Christmas dinner.
Recipe for perfect roast potatoes:
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and preheat a baking tray and fat (such as sunflower oil or duck or goose fat).
- Peel and cut the potatoes into halves or quarters so they're all roughly the same size.
- Transfer to a pan of cold water, then bring to the boil and cook for 2 mins.
- Drain in a colander, then add a sprinkling of flour and salt and shake the colander to roughen the edges of the potatoes.
- Tip the potatoes onto the hot baking tray, then coat in the hot fat and roast for 1 hr until golden and crispy. Turn the potatoes over once or twice during cooking.
Discover our picks of the best baking trays to get the most from your cooking. We've tried and tested the best kitchen kit on the market to find our favourite.
Which fat makes the best roasties?
The Good Food team tested different types of fats, from traditional drippings to plain old butter to discover what produces the crispiest potato. Although coconut oil was best for added crunch, we found that goose fat gave the best overall flavour. Butter makes a good vegetarian alternative for golden brown tatties.
Tips for the best-ever roasties
- Par-boil spuds first and drain well.
- When the potatoes are dry, transfer to a pan, put the lid on and shake. The more ruffled edges, the crispier the potato.
- Roast in a single layer on a baking tray until golden brown.
Read our guide on how to make the ultimate roast potatoes for more essential tips from the experts, from which fat to use to the ideal spud type.
More roast potato recipes
Try more fabulous roast potato recipes from our ultimate collection. Make a batch of classic golden brown tatties for your next Sunday lunch or try a delicious twist like our parmesan-roasted potatoes or garlic & rosemary roast potatoes. Peruse our best ever roast recipes for the perfect main to serve with your roasties.
What's your favourite way to serve roast potatoes? Leave a comment below...
More like this
Maris Piper and King Edward varieties are great roasting potatoes.