Warm grain salad with bacon, leeks & spinach
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 200g farro or quinoa
- 1l vegetable, pork or chicken stock
- 4 rashers smoked pancetta or streaky bacon
- 1 leek
- knob of salted butter
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 rosemary sprig, leaves only
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves, washed, or shredded kale
- 100g chestnuts , cooked and broken up (optional)
- STEP 1
Boil the farro or quinoa in the stock in a lidded pan until soft to the bite, then drain. Meanwhile, use a pair of scissors to cut the bacon into small strips. Wash the leek and chop finely. Melt the butter with the oil and fry the bacon, leeks and rosemary gently over a medium heat until soft.
- STEP 2
Add the farro to the pan, and stir in the green leaves and chestnuts, if you like. Put the lid on the pan and keep over a low heat until the leaves wilt and the chestnuts warm through. Serve warm or at room temperature.