Herbed chicken skewers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Ready in 40 to 50 minutes
- Serves 8
- 500g tiny new potatoes - look for packets of tiny or baby new potatoes, or pick out the smallest ones you can find if they are sold loose
- 3 tbsp each of chopped parsley , mint and chives
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 500g skinless chicken breasts , cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 red onion , peeled
- 1 red pepper , seeded and cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 lemon , cut into 8 wedges
For the relish
- STEP 1
If using wooden or bamboo skewers soak eight in cold water for about half an hour. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes, until just tender, drain and leave to cool. Mix the herbs, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl and add the chicken and potatoes. Mix well until everything is glistening. Cut the onion into 6 wedges, then separate the layers on each wedge. Add the onion and the pepper to the marinade and mix thoroughly.
- STEP 2
To make the relish, halve and seed the tomatoes, then chop the flesh finely. Mix the tomatoes, chillies, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and spoon into a small dish.
- STEP 3
Thread the chicken, potatoes, peppers and onion onto 8 skewers, finishing each with a lemon wedge. Barbecue directly over a medium high heat for 5-6 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked. Serve piled on a serving platter with the tomato relish.