Spring lamb skewers with lightly pickled allotment salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus at least 2 hrs marinating
- Serves 6
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- large bunch thyme
- 600g boneless lamb leg meat, cut into small chunks
For the salad
- 1 cucumber , chopped into chunks
- 6 radishes , halved and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb , quartered and finely sliced
- 1⁄2 tsp golden caster sugar
- 4 tbsp cider vinegar
- small handful dill sprigs
- STEP 1
Pound the garlic with a large pinch of sea salt using a pestle and mortar, or the back of a knife, then whisk with the oil, vinegar and thyme in a bowl. Set aside 1 tbsp of the marinade, then mix the rest through the lamb so that it’s well coated. Cover and marinate for at least 2 hrs or overnight in the fridge. If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water first for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
About 30 mins before you cook the lamb, combine all the vegetables in a bowl, season with salt and the sugar, then add the vinegar and toss through the dill. Set aside. Can be made and chilled the day before.
- STEP 3
Thread the meat onto the soaked wooden or metal skewers and heat a barbecue or griddle pan until hot. Cook the skewers for 3-4 mins on each side until well charred, basting with the reserved marinade. Serve the skewers in a pile with the salad on the side.