Roasted new carrots, cauliflower, grains & carrot-top dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6-8
- 1 cauliflower , cut into florets, leaves cut into small pieces and stalks trimmed and cut into chunks
- 400g bunch new season carrots with tops, peeled and tops trimmed and reserved for the dressing (see below)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil or olive oil
- 200g spelt or pearl barley
- 100g green beans , trimmed
For the dressing
- carrot tops , see above
- 2 handfuls parsley leaves
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 100ml rapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider or malt vinegar
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 8. Combine the cauliflower (including the leaves and stalks) and carrots in a bowl with the cumin, honey, 2 tbsp of the oil and season with salt. Line a shallow roasting tin with baking parchment, tip in the vegetables and roast for 30 mins, turning them occasionally until caramelised.
- STEP 2
While the veg are roasting, cook the grains following pack instructions and add the green beans for the last 5 mins. When everything is cooked, drain and toss with the remaining oil and set aside.
- STEP 3
To make the dressing, tip all the ingredients into a small food processor or mini chopper and blitz to a thick paste. Tip the grains and beans onto a platter with the carrots and cauliflower scattered over, then spoon over the dressing and serve any extra on the side.