Smoked trout & cucumber sesame noodles
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Fast becoming as popular as salmon, trout has been a forgotten gem for two long. Make the most of it in this fresh salad
- 1.2l vegetable stock
- knob fresh root ginger , peeled and shredded
- 100g soba noodle
- 1 tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce , plus extra to serve if you like
- 1 tbsp tahini paste or peanut butter
- 125g pack smoked trout fillets, flaked
- ½ large cucumber , sliced
- 6 spring onions , finely sliced
- sesame seed , to serve
- sesame oil , to serve
- STEP 1
Bring the stock and shredded ginger to the boil in a large pan, add the noodles, then simmer for 4 mins until tender.
- STEP 2
Drain, then cool under cold running water. Mix together the soy, tahini and 2 tbsp water (or more if you need) to make a dressing the consistency of single cream. Toss the cooled noodles and fish with the dressing and cucumber. Scatter with the spring onions and sesame seeds, then drizzle with a little sesame oil, if using.
KNOW HOW - TROUT
Rainbow trout, one of the UK’s best-known freshwater fish, is mainly farmed. Sea trout, a larger variety, is sea-going but returns to fresh waters to breed. It is delicious wrapped in bacon and roasted.