Lamb & squash biryani with cucumber raita
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Cook our healthy lamb curry with butternut squash for a tasty, filling dinner. It's low-calorie, rich in iron and provides three of your 5-a-day
- 4 lean lamb steaks (about 400g), trimmed of all fat, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 8 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 4 tsp rapeseed oil
- 4 onions , sliced
- 2 red chillies , deseeded and chopped
- 170g brown basmati rice
- 320g diced butternut squash
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 20cm length cucumber , grated
- 100ml bio yogurt
- 4 tbsp chopped mint , plus a few extra leaves
- handful coriander , chopped
- STEP 1
Mix the lamb with the garlic, 2 tsp chopped ginger and 1 tsp ground coriander and set aside.
- STEP 2
Heat 2 tsp oil in a non-stick pan. Add the onions, the remaining ginger and chilli and stir-fry briefly over a high heat so they start to soften. Add the rice and squash and stir over the heat for a few mins. Tip in all the remaining spices, then stir in 500ml boiling water and the bouillon. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 mins.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, mix the cucumber, yogurt and mint together in a bowl to make a raita. Chill half for later.
- STEP 4
About 5 mins before the rice is ready, heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the lamb and stir for a few mins until browned but still nice tender. Toss into the spiced rice with the coriander and serve with the raita and a few mint or coriander leaves on top.
SIGN UP TO OUR HEALTHY DIET PLAN
This recipe is part of our free Healthy Diet Plan. Sign up today and we’ll send you seven days of triple-tested, nutritionally-optimised recipes, plus expert tips to help you look and feel your very best.