Learn how long to boil an egg for to achieve the perfect consistency, whether you're after runny yolks or hard-boiled. Plus, check out our ideas for super soldiers.
We used large hens' eggs dropped into boiling water. When done, scoop the eggs out of the pan and put them in a bowl of cold water (if you’re not eating them straight away) to prevent them cooking any further.
How long to boil an egg:
- 5 minutes: set white and runny yolk – just right for dipping into
- 6 minutes: liquid yolk – a little less oozy
- 7 minutes: almost set – deliciously sticky
- 8 minutes: softly set – this is what you want to make Scotch eggs
- 10 minutes: the classic hard-boiled egg – mashable but not dry and chalky
Watch the video above to find out how to perfectly boil eggs, whether you like yours runny or hard-boiled.
Now that you have beautifully boiled eggs, put them to good use with 10 sensational soldiers, or whip up one of our favourite recipes:
Are you a dippy egg devotee, or a hard-boiled believer? We'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below...