Learn how long to boil an egg for to achieve the perfect consistency, whether you're after runny yolks or hard-boiled. Plus, check out our ideas for super soldiers.
We used large hens' eggs at room temperature lowered into boiling water. When done, scoop the eggs out of the pan and put them in a bowl of cold water (if you’re not eating them straight away) to prevent them cooking any further.
How long to boil an egg:
- 5 minutes: set white and runny yolk – just right for dipping into
- 6 minutes: liquid yolk – a little less oozy
- 7 minutes: almost set – deliciously sticky
- 8 minutes: softly set – this is what you want to make Scotch eggs
- 10 minutes: the classic hard-boiled egg – mashable but not dry and chalky
Watch the video above to find out how to perfectly boil eggs, whether you like yours runny or hard-boiled.
Now that you have beautifully boiled eggs, put them to good use with 10 sensational soldiers, or whip up one of our favourite recipes:
Are you a dippy egg devotee, or a hard-boiled believer? We'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below...