Learn how long to boil an egg for to achieve the perfect consistency, starting from soft to hard-boiled, then check out our ideas for super soldiers.
We used large hens' eggs dropped into boiling water. When done, scoop them out and into cold water (if you’re not eating them straight away) to prevent them cooking any further.
How long to boil an egg:
- 5 minutes - set white, runny yolk, just right for dipping into
- 6 minutes - liquid yolk, just a little less oozy
- 7 minutes - almost set, but still deliciously sticky
- 8 minutes - softly set, this is what you want to make Scotch eggs
- 9 minutes - the classic hard-boiled egg, mashable but not dry and chalky
Now that you've got beautifully boiled eggs, put them to good use with 10 sensational soldiers, or whip up one of our favourite recipes:
Are you a dippy egg devotee, or a hard-boiled believer? We'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below...