Try our fun rock painting project with a colourful ladybird design – it's a quick, cheap and simple afternoon activity for when the kids are home from school.
You don't need much to make these cute ladybird rocks. They'll brighten up the garden at any time of year, or you can use them as a paperweight, mantlepiece decoration or pick a larger stone for a homemade doorstop. Kids will love getting creative with their own designs – here’s an easy one to get you started!
Discover more activities for kids including crafts, cooking, fun and games.
How to paint ladybird rocks
30 mins, plus drying time
You will need
- Smooth and fairly flat rock or stone
- Acrylic paint
- Jar or mug of water, to clean the paintbrushes
- Newspaper, for the table
- Wash and dry the rock, then paint it white all over. Allow to dry. This will make the colours more vibrant.
- Paint the rocks in your chosen colour (we chose bright red). Allow to dry completely before applying a second coat.
- Once dry, use black paint to paint one end of the rock for the head, then add a straight line down the centre for the wings and little circles on the body to create ladybird spots. Allow to dry.
- Finish by painting on a funny face, or you could add googly eyes.
Like this? Try our other crafts for kids…