Points to remember
- For small, standard-sized couscous, put it in a bowl with enough boiling water to barely cover it (roughly twice as much liquid in ml to grams of couscous).
- You can do this with water or add extra flavour by using boiling stock.
- Put cling film over the top and allow to swell somewhere warm for 10 minutes.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork, add a little oil to separate the grains.
- You can also add flavourings such as herbs, toasted pine nuts, flaked almonds and sultanas.
- Giant couscous is also available, you cook this in boiling water until tender as you would pasta. See the packet for cooking times.
You can stir a little olive oil through the grains before adding the boiling liquid to your couscous - this helps keep the grains separate.