Moroccan tomato & chickpea soup with couscous
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 75g couscous
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 750ml low-sodium hot vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped into small cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- half a finger of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp ras-el-hanout
- 1 tbsp harissa paste, plus extra to serve
- 400g tin chopped tomato
- 400g tin chickpea
- juice ½ lemon
- roughly chopped coriander, to serve
- STEP 1
Tip the couscous into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and stir through 1 tbsp of the oil. Pour over enough hot stock just to cover and cover the bowl with cling film and set aside.
- STEP 2
Heat the rest of the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and carrot gently for 8 mins until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 mins more then stir in the ras el hanout and harissa and cook for another minute. Pour in the tomatoes and stock and give everything a good stir. Season, add the chickpeas and simmer everything gently for 20 mins until thickened slightly then squeeze over the lemon.
- STEP 3
Uncover the couscous and fluff up with a fork. Spoon the soup into bowls, top each with a mound of couscous, scatter with coriander and serve with extra harissa for those who want it.