Mediterranean Risotto Stuffed Tomatoes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Enjoy the robust Mediterranean flavours of this vegetarian dish.
- 2 large beef tomatoes
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 40g arborio rice
- 200ml hot vegetable sock
- 25g pine nuts
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp pesto
- Fresh basil sprigs to serve
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to Gas 7 (220C). Cut a slice at the top of the tomatoes and carefully scoop out the flesh and seeds. Chop the flesh and discard the seeds. The skins should be placed into an ovenproof dish.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a small pan and cook the spring onions for approximately 2 minutes until soft. Stir in the rice and a quarter of the stock and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Add the chopped tomato.
- STEP 3Add the remaining stock, 2 tablespoons at a time, ensuring that the liquid is absorbed before adding any more. When cooked (25 minutes) the rice will be tender and creamy. (You may not need all the stock). Place mixture into a bowl.
- STEP 4Place the pine nuts on a baking tray and cook for 5 minutes. Add these together with the feta cheese and pesto to the rice mixture. Stir to combine and stuff the tomatoes. Bake for 20 minutes and serve garnished with basil.