Spice-crusted tofu with kumquat radish salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 200g firm tofu
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp Japanese shichimi togarashi spice mix (available from souschef.co.uk)
- ½ tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g Tenderstem broccoli
- 100g sugar snap peas
- 4 radishes , thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions , finely chopped
- 3 kumquats , thinly sliced
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp low-salt Japanese soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Yuzu juice (or 1 tbsp each lime and grapefruit juice)
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 small shallot , finely diced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- STEP 1
Slice the tofu in half, wrap well in kitchen paper and put on a plate. Place a heavy frying pan on top to squeeze the water out of it. Change the paper a few times until the tofu feels dry, then cut into chunky slices. Mix together the sesame seeds, Japanese spice mix and cornflour in a bowl. Sprinkle over the tofu until well coated. Set aside.
- STEP 2
In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together and set aside. Bring a pan of water to the boil for the vegetables and heat the two oils in a large frying pan.
- STEP 3
When the frying pan is very hot, add the tofu and fry for 1 min or so on each side until nicely browned. Repeat until you have done them all.
- STEP 4
When the water is boiling, cook the broccoli and sugar snap peas for 2-3 mins. Drain and divide between two large shallow bowls. Top with the tofu and drizzle over the dressing. Scatter the radishes, spring onions and kumquats on top.