Seeded wholemeal soda bread
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Cuts into 10 slices
- 450g wholemeal flour , plus extra for dusting
- 75g four-seed mix (sesame, sunflower, golden linseed and pumpkin)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 150ml pot natural bio yogurt , made up to 450ml with water
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Put the flour, seeds, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and mix to combine. Stir the treacle into the yogurt mixture and, when the treacle dissolves, pour onto the dry ingredients. Stir together with the blade of a knife until you have a soft, sticky dough. Leave for 5 mins (this allows time for the liquid to absorb into the bran).
- STEP 2
Tip onto a lightly floured surface and form the dough into a round about 18cm across. It will still be very sticky, so don’t over-handle it – treat it like scone dough rather than bread dough. Lift onto the baking sheet and bake for 25-30 mins until the crust is golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath.