Red cabbage with juniper & pears
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , halved and sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves , chopped
- 30 juniper berries , chopped
- 1 red cabbage (about 1kg), quartered, cored and shredded
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 600ml vegetable stock , made with 2 stock cubes
- 2 firm pears , peeled, cored and each cut into 8 wedges
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onions and sauté for about 8 mins. Stir in the garlic and juniper and cook for 1 min more. Add as much cabbage as you can and cook, stirring, until it starts to soften, then make room for more and add the rest with the cinnamon, vinegar, sugar and stock.
- STEP 2
Give everything a good stir, then cover the pan and leave to cook over a low heat for 35 mins, stirring occasionally and checking it isn’t catching on the bottom of the pan.
- STEP 3
Add the pears and cook for 10-15 mins more, depending on their ripeness. If freezing, cook for just 5 mins. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 1 week.