- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs , skin removed and discarded and trimmed of any big bits of fat
- 2 tbsp chipotle paste
- 250ml passata
- 75g barbecue sauce
- 1 onion , chopped
- juice 3 limes , plus extra wedges to serve (optional)
- 2 x 400g cans black beans , drained and rinsed
- 215g can refried beans
- 1 small, ripe avocado , diced
- ½ small pack coriander , leaves only
- 3 Little Gem lettuces , shredded
- 8-12 tacos , or cooked rice, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Rub the chicken thighs with 1 tbsp of the chipotle paste and some seasoning. Mix the remaining chipotle paste with the passata, barbecue sauce, 100ml water and half the onion. Spoon the sauce into a roasting tin that will fit the chicken snugly in a single layer and add the chicken thighs. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hr, then uncover, increase the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and bake for another 20 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, mix the remaining onion with the lime juice and some salt, and set aside while the chicken cooks. Mix all the beans in a saucepan with 100ml water and heat, ready to serve.
- STEP 3
When the chicken is really tender, use two forks to shred the meat into the sauce (discard the bones). Keep covered with the foil while you heat the beans for 5-10 mins until piping hot and not too wet, and warm the tacos following pack instructions. Stir the avocado and coriander leaves into the lime-onion mixture.
- STEP 4
Serve the pulled chicken and beans with shredded lettuce and tacos, or rice and lime wedges to squeeze over, if you like. Top with a spoonful of the avocado salsa.