- 4 eggs
The ultimate convenience food, eggs are powerhouses of nutrition packed with protein and a…
- 2 avocados, peeled and stoned
Although it's technically a fruit, the mild-flavoured avocado is used as a vegetable. Native…
- 2 x 400g cans of beans, (we used pinto bean and kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- small red onion, finely sliced
- large bunch coriander, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 250g punnet cherry tomato, halved
- bottle bought good-quality dressing (we used English Provender Company Lime & Coriander dressing)
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- ½ tsp cumin
An aromatic spice native to eastern Mediteranean countries and Upper Egypt. This warm,…
Lower the eggs into boiling water and boil for 6½ mins, then put into a bowl of cold water to cool. Slice the avocados and place in a large bowl with the beans, onion, coriander and tomatoes. Measure 3 tbsp of the dressing into a small bowl, then mix in the chilli and cumin. Once the eggs have cooled but are still warm, peel off the shells and cut into quarters. Toss the salad with the dressing and nestle in the eggs. Serve straight away – delicious with toasted tortillas.
Make it a mealFor a tasty supper or lunchbox snack, pile the Mexican bean salad into the centre of a flour tortilla or stuff into a pitta, then grate over some cheddar and add a dollop of natural yogurt. Roll up the tortilla or close over the pitta tightly and eat.