Proper chicken curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus overnight marinating
- Serves 8
- 6 tbsp tandoori masala powder
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 500g pot coconut yogurt, plus extra to serve
- 4 onions , 2 cut into wedges, 2 chopped
- 2 peppers , cut into large chunks
- 1 ¼kg skinless chicken thigh , cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp olive oil
- big bunch coriander , stalks chopped
- 2-3 tsp hot chilli powder
- 680ml jar passata
- 160ml can coconut cream
- rice and naan bread , to serve
- STEP 1
In a very large bowl, mix half the spice mix, 1 tbsp each of the pastes, three-quarters of the yogurt and some salt. Stir in the onion wedges, peppers and chicken, then leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- STEP 2
Fry the chopped onions in the oil until really soft. Add the remaining spice mix and pastes, the coriander stalks and chilli powder. Cook for 1 min, then stir in 100ml water and the passata. Simmer for 15 mins, then add the coconut cream and remaining yogurt. Leave chunky or blitz with a blender.
- STEP 3
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Spread the chicken and veg on a baking tray. Roast for 15-20 mins until cooked and slightly charred. Tip into the sauce. Serve with rice, naan, extra yogurt and coriander leaves.