Kale & apple soup with walnuts
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 8 walnut halves , broken into pieces
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 carrots , coarsely grated
- 2 red apples , unpeeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 500ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 200g kale , roughly chopped
- 20g pack of dried apple crisps (optional)
- STEP 1
In a dry, non-stick frying pan, cook the walnut pieces for 2-3 mins until toasted, turning frequently so they don’t burn. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- STEP 2
Put the onion, carrots, apples, vinegar and stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 3
Once the onion is translucent and the apples start to soften, add the kale and simmer for an additional 2 mins. Carefully transfer to a blender or liquidiser and blend until very smooth. Pour into bowls and serve topped with the toasted walnuts, and a sprinkling of apple crisps, if you like.