- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 400g can red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 4 eggs
- 4 small flour tortillas , warmed
- 1 large tomato , diced
- handful pickled jalapeño peppers , roughly chopped
- 30g cheddar , grated
- 1 avocado , peeled, de-stoned and diced
- 1 lime , half juiced, half cut into wedges, to serve
- chopped coriander , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan. Add the onions with a pinch of salt, and cook until translucent, around 3-4 mins. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- STEP 2
Stir in the beans, cumin, chilli powder, oregano, some seasoning and 100ml water. Cook for 5-7 mins, stirring occasionally, or until the beans have softened, then remove from the heat, mash and set aside.
- STEP 3
Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Crack in the eggs, then reduce the heat to low and cook slowly until the whites are completely firm.
- STEP 4
To assemble, spread the beans onto the tortillas, add the tomatoes and jalapeños and sprinkle with cheese. Top with some avocado, a squeeze of lime juice and a fried egg, then scatter with coriander. Serve with the lime wedges on the side.