Pisto con huevos
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This traditional Spanish take on ratatouille uses delicious seasonal ingredients. Serve with country-style bread and fruity red wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 5 mixed peppers , chopped into chunks
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- a few thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 courgettes , chopped into chunks
- 1 aubergine , chopped into chunks
- 4 large tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 4 large eggs
- ½ small pack parsley , leaves roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or a cast-iron skillet over a low heat. Add the onions and a sprinkle of salt, cover and cook gently for 15 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- STEP 2
Next, throw in the peppers and cook over a medium heat, covered, for about 5 mins, stirring every so often, until the peppers are just tender.
- STEP 3
Mix in the oregano, thyme, bay leaves, some black pepper and a little salt, if needed. Tip in the courgettes and aubergine, combine thoroughly, and cook over a medium heat, covered, for 10 mins. Stir in the tomatoes, cover and cook for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 4
Carefully crack the eggs over the pisto – try not to break the yolks. Cook in the sauce on a medium heat for 5-6 mins until the eggs are cooked through but still a little soft, then scatter with parsley before serving