Ham & mushroom potato nests with fried quail's eggs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 12, as a snack or canapé
- 10g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 200g chestnut mushrooms , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 500g waxy potatoes , peeled, ends trimmed and spiralized into thin noodles
- 120g pack of ham , torn into pieces
- 125g ball mozzarella , drained and grated
- 12 quail’s eggs
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Generously grease 12 holes of a non-stick muffin (or cupcake) tin with butter.
- STEP 2
Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the mushrooms. Fry for 4–5 mins until they begin to brown. Stir in the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then tip the mushrooms into a large bowl. Stir in the potato, ham and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 3
Divide the mixture among the muffin holes and bake in the oven for 25 mins or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and run a cutlery or palette knife around the edges of the nests to make sure they are not sticking to the pan. Then use the back of a teaspoon to press down the centre of each to make an indent large enough to hold a quail's egg. Crack a quail’s egg into each nest and return to the oven for 8–10 mins, until the egg white is set and the yolk runny. Cool in the tin for 1-2 mins, then carefully lift out with a palette knife.