Chipotle black bean soup with lime-pickled onions
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus pickling
- Serves 2
Use storecupboard pulses in this healthy, Mexican-inspired soup - freshen it up with sweet onions, coriander and soured cream
- juice 2 limes
- 2 small red onions , thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp chipotle paste , or Tabasco, to taste
- 400g can black bean , drained and rinsed
- 400ml vegetable stock
- half-fat soured cream , to serve
- coriander leaves, to serve
- crisp tortilla chips , to serve
- STEP 1
To make the lime-pickled onions, combine ½ the lime juice and ½ the onions in a small bowl, and season. Leave to pickle for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and remaining onions, and season. Cook for 8 mins or until the onions are translucent. Add the spices and chipotle purée, cook for 1 min, then add the beans, stock and remaining lime juice. Simmer for 15 mins, then purée in a blender.
- STEP 3
Pour the soup into a clean pan to reheat. Serve with a little of the drained pickled onions, topped with a small drizzle of soured cream and some coriander, and the tortillas on the side.