Cheat's chilli prawn noodles
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , roughly chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp coriander purée (from a tube)
- pinch of crushed dried chillies , to taste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- half a pack Chinese egg noodles
- 400g frozen prawns (large North Atlantic ones are tender and juicy)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Toss in the onion, squeeze in the coriander purée and sprinkle over the crushed chillies to taste (go easy at this stage). Stir fry for 5 minutes until the onion is softened but not browned.
- STEP 2
Pour in the tomatoes and 11⁄2 canfuls of hot water, add the tomato purée and sprinkle over the bouillon powder. Season well. Bring to a bubble, stirring, then lower the heat a little and let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes until slightly reduced but still sloppy. While the sauce is simmering, break the noodles into a bowl and pour in enough boiling water to cover. Stir and set aside.
- STEP 3
When the sauce is ready, drain the noodles and tip them into the sauce with the frozen prawns. Stir well and heat through for 2 minutes only – just to defrost and heat the prawns. Taste for seasoning and add more chilli flakes and a little sugar if you like. Serve in bowls with spoons and pass round chunky hot bread for scooping up the last of the sauce.