Butter bean, mushroom & bacon pot pies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 red onions , thinly sliced
- 500g mushrooms , thickly sliced
- 70g smoked streaky bacon , sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml low-salt vegetable stock
- 250g kale , roughly sliced
- 3 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1 lemon , zested and juiced
- 2 x 400g cans butter beans , drained and rinsed
- STEP 1
Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a saucepan or large flameproof casserole dish. Fry the onions for 10 mins until soft, then add the mushrooms and bacon and fry for another 5 mins until golden. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 mins more. Gradually pour in the stock, then bring to the boil and bubble for 2 mins. Add the kale and cook for another 5 mins, then stir in the mustard, crème fraîche, half the tarragon and the lemon juice. Spoon the mushroom mixture into four small baking dishes.
- STEP 2
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the butter beans in a food processor with the remaining oil and tarragon and the lemon zest. Blitz until chunky, adding 2-3 tbsp water to loosen if needed.
- STEP 3
Spoon the butter bean mixture over the filling, smoothing with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden. Leave to cool slightly, then serve.