How to make garden wind chimes
Simple enough for little ones to try, this easy wind chime craft is a fun kids’ activity. Paint them all the colours of the rainbow to brighten up your garden!
There are lots of different ways you can make wind chimes for your garden, but we’ve chosen this method using colourful painted sticks so that it’s easy enough for kids to make. The sticks knock together in the breeze, just like a wind chime. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can follow this method and swap the painted sticks for old keys, beads or even metal spoons!
Discover more crafts, cooking ideas, fun and games on our activities for kids page.
Prep 2-3 hours + drying time
You will need
- 5 sticks of various lengths and thicknesses
- 1 long stick for your hanger
- newspaper, for your table
- acrylic paint
- twine, string or wool
- Once you’ve had fun gathering your sticks, begin by removing any loose bark and sanding all your sticks in a well-ventilated area, to get rid of any rough edges and splinters. Younger kids will need the help of an adult for this part.
- Paint all your chime sticks white, leaving the long stick for the hanger un-painted. This undercoat will make your wind chimes bright and colourful. Allow to dry.
- Paint each chime stick in a different vibrant colour – you may need to do more than one coat. Allow to dry between each layer of paint.
- Tightly tie a loop of twine around the top of each chime stick and secure with a double knot.
- Tightly tie the string of each chime to your hanger at regular intervals and secure with a double knot. Finish by tying another length of string to either end, ready for hanging.
Looking for your next kids’ project? Try these…
Indoor activities for kids
How to make potato stamps
Our easy playdough recipe
Learn how to plant a herb garden
Easy rock painting project
Comments, questions and tips