How to roast and carve rib of beef
Find out how best to prepare, cook and carve a roast rib of beef with our expert cookery tips, technique video and recipe ideas. Follow our step-by-step guide.
Try our easy roast beef recipe for the perfect Sunday roast, complete with caramelised carrots and gravy. Tackle our step-by-step cooking method below, then give our favourite roast beef recipes a go.
How to prepare and roast beef
- Season the joint with the crushed pepper and sea salt or a flavouring of your choice. Press onto the fat and flesh to evenly coat.
- Roast for 20 minutes at 220C/fan 200C/gas 7, then turn the oven down to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Cook for 20 minutes per 450g for medium/15 minutes per 450g for rare. Rest the meat for 15-30 minutes in a warm place.
- Slice the meat neatly away from the bone. Cut the meat away from in between the bones or separate the bones and serve as they are.
- Carve the joint into slices and serve.
Tip: Resting meat will make it more tender and juicy as it allows the juices to reabsorb evenly through it after cooking. Put your joint on a warm plate and cover it loosely. Set aside for 15-30 mins before carving.
Want even more advice and trouble-shooting expertise? Check out our guide on how to cook roast beef and discover our top flavour combinations, cooking methods and super side dishes. Cook an extravagant roast and learn how to cook topside of beef, or if you fancy low and slow food, learn how to cook a beef joint so it falls apart.
Comments, questions and tips