Points to remember
- Season the joint with the crushed pepper and sea salt or a flavouring of your choice. Press onto the fat and flesh to evenly coat.
- Roast for 20 minutes at 220C/fan 200C/gas 7, then turn the oven down to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Cook for 20 minutes per 450g for medium/15 minutes per 450g for rare. Rest the meat for 15-30 minutes in a warm place.
- Slice the meat neatly away from the bone. Cut the meat away from in between the bones or separate the bones and serve as they are.
- Carve the joint into slices and serve.
Resting meat will make it more tender and juicy as it allows the juices to reabsorb evenly through it after cooking. Put your joint on a warm plate and cover it loosely with foil. Set aside for 15 - 30 minutes before carving it.