Pork Belly in a ginger and honey Sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Min 6 hours or overnight For Marinading
- Serves 4
This simple recipe using a cheap but very tasty cut of pork marinaded in an rich Chinese sticky glaze is delicious served with plain boiled or steamed rice.
For The Marinade
- 2 Tbs Light soy Sauce
- 2 Tbs Dark soy sauce
- 3 Tbs Clear honey or golden syrup
- 3 Tbs Rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 chunks of stem ginger finely grated + 2 tsp of the juice (if you like it gingery)
- 60g Golden caster sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 8 large slices of Pork Belly (rind- less)
- STEP 1Put the soy sauce, rice wine, seseme oil, ginger + juice, honey/syrup, sugar and garlic together in a bowl and whisk until well blended
- STEP 2Put the slices of Pork Belly in a shallow dish big enough to lay separately,tip over the marinade and leave to marinade in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight ,turning occasionally.
- STEP 3Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade,350 degrees Fahrenheit or gas mark 4.Place the slices of Pork Belly on a wire rack in a roasting pan and cook for 45/60 mins basting frequently.
- STEP 4Serve with plain boiled or steamed rice.Decant pan juices into a jug and pour over the slices.