Roasted aubergine, harissa & chickpea stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 2 servings
Inspired by a Gousto recipe my dad cooked
- 130g bulgar wheat
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout (try cumin, coriander, cinammon, ginger, black pepper and turmeric)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tomatoes
- 30g seed mix
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 aubergine
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 80g baby leaf spinach
- 40g harissa paste
- Olive oil
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan. Trim the green stalks off the aubergine and cut into small pieces. Add the chopped aubergine to a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil and salt. Place tray in oven for 25 mins until aubergine is softened.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, dissolve the stock cube in 250ml boiled water. Dice the tomatoes. Peel and finely chop the red onion.
- STEP 3Heat a large, wide-based pan with 1tbsp olive oil over a medium heat. Cook the red onion for 5 mins or until softened.
- STEP 4Meanwhile, add the bulgar wheat to a pot with plenty of boiled water and a pinch of salt. Cook over high heat for 10-15 mins until tender with a slight bite. Drain and return to the pot.
- STEP 5Once the onion has softened, add the ras el hanout with the tomato paste and cook for 1 min or until fragrant. Add the diced tomato, vegetable stock and harissa paste (spicy!). Cook for 5-10 mins until reduced to a thick sauce.
- STEP 6Meanwhile, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add to the sauce and cook for a further 2-3 mins until combined.
- STEP 7Meanwhile, add baby spinach to a colander and pour over boiled water. Rinse the wilted spinach with cold water until cool. Squeeze the water out of the spinach, chop it and add to the bulgar wheat. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- STEP 8Once the aubergine is softened and golden, push it to one side of the baking tray and add the seed mix. Return the tray to the oven for 5 mins or until toasted.
- STEP 9Stir the roasted aubergine into the harissa and chickpea stew. Serve with spinach bulgar to the side. Garnish with the toasted seed mix. Enjoy!