Savoury Bread & Butter Pudding
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A savoury twist on the classic. Makes a great accompaniment to roast chicken.
- 1 Loaf Brioche (400g)
- 1 Whole Garlic Bulb
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 150g Salted Butter, plus extra for greasing, softened
- 4 tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 6 Eggs
- 300mL Whole Milk
- 200mL Double Cream
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190C (170C Fan).
- STEP 2Using a serrated knife, slice the very top of the garlic bulb off. Rub with the olive oil and wrap tightly in foil. Roast for 40-45 minutes until the cloves are soft and lightly caramelised.
- STEP 3Once the garlic is cooled squeeze the contents of each clove into a bowl and mash with a fork. Blend in the softened butter & thyme leaves.
- STEP 4Spread the butter mixture over both sides of each slice of brioche.
- STEP 5Grease a 30cm x 20cm roasting dish with butter. Arrange the brioche slices in one overlapping layer so they all fit in snugly.
- STEP 6In a large jug whisk together the eggs, milk & double cream. Pour this mixture evenly over the brioche.
- STEP 7Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the egg mixture is set and the top is a crusty golden brown.