Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Cod & Mediterranean Tomato Sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Really great recipe to liven up cod, especially good to encourage recalcitrant fish eaters.
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 3/4 cloves garlic
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 7/8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 carton passata
- 5ml sugar
- large pinch of chilli flakes and black pepper
- 4 cod loins
- 15ml plain flour
- STEP 1Roughly chop the onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- STEP 2Pour half of the olive oil into a pan, heat and then add the chopped vegetables. Sweat the vegetables without colouring them until softened.
- STEP 3Add the chopped tomatoes, basil leaves, passata, sugar and chilli flakes and pepper. Give good stir and then allow to simmer and reduce for at least 30 minutes. If a smoother sauce is required, this is the time to use a hand held blender (or similar) to get rid of any lumps.
- STEP 4Mix the flour and seasoning in a shallow bowl and then dredge cod loins in the flour and set aside ready to fry.
- STEP 5Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and then gently place the floured cod loins into the pan and cook, turn the cod carefully and continue to fry until the cod has cooked through. Do not be tempted to cook the fish for too long or else it will dry out.
- STEP 6Serve the cod with the sauce. A good accompaniment to this is gnocchi. Also, can add a handful of black olives to the tomato sauce to give it some extra zing.