Herb & garlic baked cod with romesco sauce & spinach
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
White fish is such a good source of lean protein and this herby baked cod with fresh greens makes a tasty, low-calorie, healthy supper option
- 2 x 140g skinless cod loin or pollock fillets
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil, plus 2 tsp
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 2 leeks, well washed and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ¼ tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 100g baby spinach, wilted in a pan or the microwave
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/ gas 7 and put the fish fillets in a shallow ovenproof dish so they fit quite snugly in a single layer. Mix 1 tbsp rapeseed oil with the thyme and garlic, spoon over the fish, then grate over the lemon zest. Bake for 10-12 mins until the fish is moist and flakes easily when tested.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a non-stick pan and fry the pepper and leeks for 5 mins until softened. Add the almonds and cook for 5 mins more. Tip in the tomato purée, 5 tbsp water, the bouillion powder and vinegar, and cook briefly to warm the mixture through.
- STEP 3
Add the juice of up to half a lemon and blitz with a stick blender until it makes a thick, pesto-like sauce. Serve with the fish and the wilted spinach.