Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
garden fresh rhubarb bakewell tart
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 10
When it comes to baking, the classic Bakewell tart is one of my favorites, full of flavour from the rich buttery short crust pastry to the almond packed frangipane, when paired with fresh fruit it makes a winning combination. So when my breakfast chef and good friend came into work with huge handfuls of my favorite rhubarb freshly picked from the garden I knew what I had to make. Now the only question that remains is custard or ice cream?????
- 250g shortcrust pastry
- 500g fresh ripe rhubarb
- 400g caster sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 200g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 4 whole eggs
- 50g flaked almonds
- STEP 1Cut the rhubarb into 2cm lengths and place them in a bowl with 200g of sugar and toss them together. place the rhubarb on a tray and bake for 15 min at 170c.
- STEP 2Whilst the rhubarb is cooking roll out the pastry and line a 10″ tart case with the pastry.
- STEP 3Next place the flour, sugar, ground almonds and butter in a mixer and combine for 30 seconds, add in the eggs one at a time and allow them to be combined into a smooth paste.
- STEP 4Once the rhubarb is cooked place it in the bottom of the tart shell and cover with the frangipane mixture.
- STEP 5Scatter the flaked almonds over the top and bake in a pre-heated oven at 150c for 45 minutes.
- STEP 6Remove from the oven and allow to cook completely before decorating with a little icing sugar.