Simple Chocolate Crème Brulée
- Preparation and cooking time
- 3 hours cooling/chilling
- Makes 2 desserts
A chocolatey twist on the restaurant classic. Recipe makes two but is easily doubled/tripled/quadrupled.
- 150ml single cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 60g dark chocolate broken into small pieces
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp sugar for caramel topping
- STEP 1Pour the cream into a small pan and heat on the hob until almost boiling. Add the chocolate and stir until melted in.
- STEP 2Beat the egg yolks and sugar until smooth.
- STEP 3Take a tablespoon of the chocolate cream and drizzle it into the egg yolks, stirring them constantly. Repeat with a second tablespoon.
- STEP 4Pour the egg yolk mix back into the pan of chocolate cream and mix until thoroughly combined.
- STEP 5Divide the mixture between two ramekins. Place these inside a roasting tray and pour boiling water from the kettle into the tray about half way up the ramekins. Bake at 150ºC for 25 minutes or until just set.
- STEP 6Leave to cool for an hour and then chill for a further 2 to 3 hours.
- STEP 7When ready to serve, remove from the fridge. Sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar on top of each dessert. Caramelise with a kitchen blowtorch or under a hot grill.